Monday, December 17, 2012

Trust as an Adventure

Read Genesis 3:13-15; see also Acts 15:13-18; Psalm 118:24; 1 Peter 2:21

Prayer:
Father, I woke up this morning with a new idea in mind: I want today to be different. So often it seems as though my first waking thought is either, Grr! I didn't get enough sleep or I don't have enough time to get everything done today. And right away, my day starts on a negative note. There's no way that this is what You intended for me. So, Father, I want to approach today differently. I want to lay my negative mind-set at the foot of the cross and start fresh with You.

I know I can't do this on my own. I need You, God. I need to view life as You view it and try singing a different song--one of praise, belief, trust, and worship. It would be so great to begin my day excited about the possibilities that each moment holds. Please help me to do this. Help me to live the next twenty-four hours with a spirit of anticipation.
-- Gene

Devotion:
Try to view each day as an adventure, carefully planned out by your Guide. Instead of staring into the day that is ahead of you, attempting to program it according to your will, be attentive to Me and to all I have prepared for you. Thank Me for this day of life, recognizing that it is a precious, unrepeatable gift. Trust that I am with you each moment, whether you sense My Presence or not. A thankful, trusting attitude helps you to see events in your life from My perspective. A life lived close to Me will never be dull or predictable. Expect each day to contain surprises! Resist your tendency to search for the easiest route through the day. Be willing to follow wherever I lead. No matter how steep or treacherous the path before you, the safest place to be is by My side.
(From Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

Contemplate:
To what "adventure" might God be calling you this Christmas season? What is He doing in your life right now that seems a little different, a little out of the ordinary, maybe even a little surprising? Make this a matter of prayer and ask the Lord what new thing He might want to do in your life this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment