Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Ascents and Descents on the High Road

Read Matthew 2:1-12; see also 1 Samuel 24:8-13; John 21:19; 2 Corinthians 4:17; Habakkuk 3:19

Prayer:
I have enjoyed my journey with You, Lord! You have been so good--teaching, guiding, nudging me in the right direction, even sometimes pulling me along. I know there have been times when I raced ahead of You because I thought I knew a better way. Imagine that! But I always got lost. And there were times when I foolishly ran away from You, only to hit a lot of dead ends. I'm not always a good follower. But You, Lord, are the best Leader!

You have patiently waited for me. You have been faithful to forgive my foolish wanderings. You have blessed all of my efforts and given me a wonderful family and circle of friends. You have placed me in a church that honors and glorifies Your name. And every time it looked to me like things had gone wrong, in the end You showed me a better plan. I know I have a long way to go on this journey. Remind me every day, Lord, that Your way is best. I want to always trust and follow Your lead.
-- Andrew

Devotion:
I am leading you along the high road, but there are descents as well as ascents. In the distance you see snow-covered peaks glistening in brilliant sunlight. Your longing to reach those peaks is good, but you must not take shortcuts. Your assignment is to follow Me, allowing Me to direct your path. Let the heights beckon you onward, but stay close to Me. Learn to trust Me when things go "wrong." Disruptions to your routine highlight your dependence on Me. Trusting acceptance of trials brings blessings that far outweigh them all.
Walk hand in hand with Me through this day. I have lovingly planned every inch of the way. Trust does not falter when the path becomes rocky and steep. Breathe deep draughts of My Presence, and hold tightly to My hand. Together we can make it!

(From Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

Contemplate:
As you look toward Christmas day, what single event or challenge or relationship in the days ahead seems to call most for you to place your trust in God? How can placing your full trust in your Lord make this Christmas into something extraordinary?

From Jesus Calling Christmas Devotional 

No comments:

Post a Comment