Monday, September 10, 2012

If God is For Us

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord…With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News.” (2 Timothy 1:7-8, NLT)

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in a country where you weren’t free? Maybe where you’re not free to drive to see family members, free to speak your mind or free to worship in the way that you want?  Personally speaking, it’s hard for me to imagine what it would be like to not have a copy of God’s Word, to not be able to call a friend and talk about how I’m struggling in my relationship with God or to freely write what is on my heart.

As I see what is happening all around the world, the unrest in so many countries, the earthquakes and tsunamis, I have to admit my heart trembles. I sometimes wonder if my world will drastically change one day.  I ask myself these questions, “Will I someday experience what many Christians in other countries around the world experience?” “Will being persecuted for my faith mean more than just losing my job or being criticized for believing in God?”  “Will I be sentenced to jail or have my family stripped away from me?”

With all these questions, I have one more: Will I be as resilient in my faith during those hard times as I am now in everyday life? Will I be able to stand strong in the face of danger? I have come to the conclusion that these questions can actually open a doorway for fear to completely consume me. Going back to the drawing board, I want to see what God says about fear.

In 2 Timothy 1:7-8 God says, “God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity but of power, love and of self-discipline.” When we give into fear and allow it to consume us we are giving power to the enemy. The reality is that God has given us everything we need to stand strong and to face whatever comes our way! So how do we do this in the face of overwhelming circumstances and fear? We do this by turning our hearts back to Him.

When I experience fear, heartache or worry in my life, He wants me to give it to Him and to claim His power and love. An analogy that comes to mind is a person trying to cross a swinging rope bridge. In order to get to the other side this person needs to keep his or her eyes fixed on the other side. This person doesn’t allow him or herself to look down to the gorge below. It is the same for us as we walk through this life; we need to fix our eyes on Him the author and finisher of our faith so we remain victorious in Him.

If God’s Word is true (and I believe it is) then He will give me what I need when the time arises. I don’t have to live in fear or worry of tomorrow, because He promises to be with me. He promises to give me His strength and His power to meet whatever will come my way.  We have nothing to fear. It’s just like what the Apostle Paul writes in Romans 8: 31: “If God is for us, who can ever be against us?

Dear Lord, Thank-You that I don’t ever have to fear anything in life—even suffering. I trust that You are always with me and that You never leave me or forsake me. I thank-You Lord that nothing is too big for You and that nothing is impossible with You. When I face seemingly impossible situations and fear tries to influence my heart and mind—I say no in Jesus Name! I will not fear because You are with me. Thank-You that Your perfect love drives out all fear. In Jesus Name, Amen

Question: What kinds of fears do you need to submit to the Lord today?

Source: http://powertochange.com/blogposts/author/khuseby/

No comments:

Post a Comment