Monday, May 28, 2012

what if?


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

Sleep evaded me and questions swirled about my own life. When will the other shoe drop? What if suffering {like the characters went through} is around the corner for me?

I shut the tear-stained pages of the romantic tragedy that had stirred up these worries. As I lay in bed, the story of a perfect family had me blubbering and sniffling when their blissful existence twisted into heartache and loss. 

This novel messed with my heart big time.

Some girlfriends and I have talked about the "what ifs." What if I lose my job and I can't pay my bills? What if I never find Mr. Right? What if my parents die in a car crash? What if Mr. Right decides one day he doesn't love me anymore?

What if? What if? What if?

As I tossed and turned in bed, I knew I had to redirect my thoughts and take a different path. So I asked myself three other questions instead of the dread-filled what ifs. They shifted my focus from the unknown to the reality that God cares for me.

~What do I know about God and His power over my life?

~When was the last time God brought me through a difficult time and how did I end up on the other side?

~What truths in the Bible do I need to lean on in this fear? I like Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

We don't need to lie in bed and fret over what ifs like I did. Instead, as we can grip onto the mighty power of God; our trust in Him covers every wondering doubt.

God doesn't promise us a bliss-filled life. But He does promise He's in control and all things work together for our good. The Lord says in Romans 8:28 that no matter what comes our way, He has the ultimate ability and power to work it out for good.

In fact, our what ifs are no big deal to Him—God is more powerful than anything life throws our way. He wants us to come to Him with full-on trust with our what ifs—that He has our best in mind.

If you have your own what ifs, please express them here. Let's take some time to get real about our fears and how we would answer the questions above to get back to truth and trust in the Lord.



Sarah Martin has a series on her blog encouraging young women to RISE UP! and make Jesus famous in every single area of our lives. Check it out by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment