Friday, May 25, 2012

Brave in the Face of Fear

While fixing some goodies to take to bible study tonight (Angela Thomas' "Brave") I'm thinking about this weeks homework we just finished. The topic was fear. Fear can cripple, wound, take up residence, and become second nature if we arent careful. I love that it resonates again what God gave me this past weekend as I was speaking at a retreat (I love the way He weaves those things through every part of our life when we are open to it and looking for it). Courage, strength, and bravery isnt in trying to just make it thru with your head down, fix it, or in trying to carry and endure alone whats causing your fear. Courage, strength, and being brave means turning to the only one who can truly offer comfort, peace, take the fear from you, and make good out of whatever is troubling me.

"Whatever makes you tremble inside, God is able to work it out, bring it under His control, and sustain you through it" (Angela Thomas)

There are several occurences in my life that have literally caused me to tremble in fear. Taken me to my knees in an instant. What I wish I would remember more quickly when that happens is that there is nothing too small or too big that can keep God from coming to me with comfort, peace, and His sovereignty - even if the thing that makes me tremble is a result of my own doing.
2 Cor. 3-4 "Praise be to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion, and the God of all comfort who comforts us in ALL our troubles"

So many times I cry out to God so quickly them move on to my husband and friends to help me fix it, before finally longing for the only One who can, and then crawl back into His presence.
Psalm 27:1 "Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?"

I can be so stubborn, so fearful sometimes. But isnt is so good to know He created us to need Him in our darkest hour, and what causes us to tremble is something He saw coming long ago. So we become brave - we run to Him, crawl up in His lap, acknowledge our need, ask HIM to deal with it, and when we crawl back down to stand in His strength - we leave the fear in his hands. All we have to do them is pray, keep our eyes on Him, and obediently do only what He asks.

I dont know about you, but I feel better already :)

Joyful on the Journey
Marisa

 http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FChickChatWithMarisa&h=XAQF79gfK

No comments:

Post a Comment