Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Put a Smile on your Face!


I came across this blog/letter last week, and thought it was a great reminder that we should seek laughter and love in friendships and within our own lives.  Have a great week! - Kim D.
 

When was the last time you had a good laugh? I'm talking about the rib-splitting kind that causes you to laugh until you cry; the kind of laughing spell that requires you to re-apply your make-up. I had a good, hard laugh the other day and I literally could not breathe. I was doubled over and had a difficult time composing myself. The crazy thing about the scenario that made me laugh so hard is that it probably would not be funny to you, but at the time, and with all the people and circumstances in place, it was hysterical. I find it interesting that different things are funny to different people.

It is important to surround yourself with friends who have no mercy when it comes to making you laugh. I have several friends who are so much fun to be around, and one friend in particular makes me laugh so hard when we are together that I'm surprised we haven't been kicked out of restaurants and other places because we laugh so loud and for long periods of time. If I am having a bad day, I can just think about the last time I was with this friend and she brings a smile to my face. I crave her company. It's important to tune in to people who make you smile. My daughter is another source of laughter for me. She is so funny and has a sense of humor that keeps me doubled over. She is such a gift to me and she makes me laugh on a daily basis. We have so much fun together. One reason I married my husband, among other wonderful things, is his ability to make me laugh. He says to me often, "I can always make you smile." I think that is one of his greatest joys in life. He loves to hear me laugh, and he tells me so. The Bible says, "A merry heart is good medicine." Proverbs 17:22. God's word is full of beautiful truths. I am so glad that laughter is one of His prescriptions for our hearts.



I don't know about you, but I am my own source of comedy. I can do some of the craziest things and get myself into more goofy situations. My saving grace is that I have learned to laugh at myself and laugh at my own mistakes. Some of my friends tell me that I'm the biggest kid they know. Just when I think it's time for me to grow up, I continue to cling to one of my life phrases "Act Old Later." I do have a serious side, but I don't take myself too seriously. Being your own source of comedy is the most fun of all.



Today is a great day to laugh and it's a great day to share laughter. In fact, as I am writing this email, my assistant, Frances, and a group of ladies are outside my office laughing hysterically. I had to stick my head out and get in on the action. Their laughter is beautiful music to my ears and their smiles are priceless.



Now for my next question, "When was the last time you made someone laugh?" Laughter is that gift we receive and it's important for us to turn that gift around and share it with others. Laughter is contagious. It helps us, and others enter a new realm of joy and it helps us rise above our circumstances. I will leave you with this thought from Nehemiah 8:10, "The joy of the Lord is your strength." Rejoice, in the Lord always, sisters, again I say rejoice. Find His strength in the laughter of friends and family. Surround yourself with something that makes you laugh or someone who lifts your spirit. Laugh and trust that God is in control. No matter what your circumstances, today is a great day to laugh.


by: Cheryle J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment